Health and Nutrition Strategies For Cancer Survivors and Everybody Else



September and October were big months for my promotion
of “The Organic Capital Of the World”. The feasibility
appears to have gotten the attention of a cross section
of our region. So, I’ll devote a few more sentences to
illuminate the concept, and why it’s my passion.
As long time readers are aware, for many years, I
facilitated a prostate cancer support group here in
Northeast North Carolina, where according to the North
Carolina Central Cancer Registry, the cancer disparity is
the highest in the state, and for prostate cancer among
African-American men, the highest in the world. I was
personally and professionally intrigued by the data. I
sought answers from the American Cancer Society who
sponsored the the support group, and the Sidney Kimmel
Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins Medicine
,who are my providers. Their working thesis is that
cancer is primarily environmental. The environmental link
that interested me most was the 90% dietary link. That’s
where the professional part came into play.
For new readers, I’m a retiree from the USDA Food
Safety Inspection Service/ Standards and Labeling Division.
In that capacity I analyzed mandatory formula’s and
data submitted by the food industry to determine compliance
to federal standards and regulations. The Standards
and Labeling Division exposed me to food lobbyist,
Federal rulemaking and how our country’s food chain
works. Prior to my tenure at USDA Headquarters, I was
a New York State field inspector in New York City, and a
USDA Inspector in Charge, in rural New York State.
My background and perspective is that of a food safety
expert that happens to be a cancer survivor., Since my
diagnosis I’ve been obsessed with the cause. In fact,
“Cause and Effect” is my working philosophy. There’s a
strong correlation between the quality of the food, and
the rise in disease, including diabetes, heart disease and
cancer. I’m convinced that if we fixed the quality of the
food (the cause), we can began to mitigate the disease
disparities.
Here’s the fix. The U.S. food chain has been compromised,
and wholesomeness is only assured on product
identified as “U.S. Certified Organic”. The Albemarle
Region has the potential to be the largest producers
of organic foods in the Northeast, and possibly in the
entire country. We are blessed with the geography,
the logistics, the climate, and the agricultural talent for
organic, agriculture enterprises to be a major sustainable
contributor to this areas economy. Small acre farms are
the perfect element for organic farming because of the
producer’s ability to quality control the regulatory requirements
for “U.S. Certified Organic” production.
Contact Shirley Brown :“Northeastern Coalition for
Minority Small Farmers and Landowners” for organic soil
testing information.
Finally, a clergyman friend advised me that producing
food for mankind is a special calling. Remember, you are
what you eat.


Warren Green is a 30 year member of the Institute of Food
Technology, A HAACP (hazard analysis critical control point)
Instructor with a Bachelors degree in Nutrition Science.

Warren Green can be reached
at warreng9241@hotmail.com
Health and Nutrition Strategies For Cancer Survivors and Everybody Else Health and Nutrition Strategies For Cancer Survivors and Everybody Else Reviewed by kensunm on 7:00:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Copyright AlbemarleTradewinds. Theme images by merrymoonmary. Powered by Blogger.